Friday, October 28, 2011

The Most Beautiful Things








"Remember that the most beautiful things in the world are the most useless; 
peacocks and lilies for example." -- John Ruskin


When I was young, my grandparents were caretakers of a large estate (J. A. Mathieu, Fort Frances, Ontario).  There was a variety of wildlife that lived on the land, and the most magnificent of all, for me, were the peacocks.  Their large size, their magnificent colours, and their shrill call (that sounded like the word "Help!") made quite the impression on me.  The brilliant blue colour on their neck feathers was complimented by the blue "eyes" on their large tails.  We would hunt the property for these long feathers that had fallen out of the peacocks' tails.  We would put them in a vase and display them like flowers.  To this day, I still enjoy displaying peacock feathers.  I love the colours.  In fact, my favourite colour is "peacock blue".  

Have a great day!

~ Angela Gentile

Photos by Angela Gentile

2 comments:

Joe Viviano said...

Hi Angela--

Thanks for the images and thoughts. It's rare one takes the time to recall and appreciate interactions with beauty.

-Joe

Angela G. Gentile said...

Thanks for reading and commenting Joe! Have a great day!
Angela