Sunday, May 13, 2012

When a Mother is Born


Around the time of "Mother's Day", I find myself thinking about what it means to be a mother.  When I look at the above quote, it makes me think about the miraculous event of when a child is born into this world.

I believe, prior to the baby being born, the expectant mother is born when she knows she is with child.  The mothering instinct kicks into high gear when she knows she is carrying a child.  She wants to eat healthy, she wants to avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.  She wants to take her vitamins and supplements and get regular check-ups to make sure the baby is fine.  She knows the importance and significance of this miraculous event, and she realizes that her life will never be the same.

The moment the child is born, more than a mother is born.  A father, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle, cousin, and oodles of other relatives are born.  This is particularly exciting when it is a first.  The first time a mother is born is momentous.  The first time I became an aunt (by blood) was very, very exciting for me.  The expectant-aunt phase was also very exciting for me.  Every subsequent child born is also a special and exciting time for all.


Other thoughts on Motherhood:

  • Oprah Winfrey knows what the toughest job in the world is, and she isn't even speaking from personal experience.  She just knows.  She says, "Mom's have the toughest job in the world if you're doing it right".
  • Dr. Laura Schlessinger states that "I am my kids Mom".  I am a fan of hers, and I like to listen to her radio program on SiriusXM satellite radio.  I admire her strong sense of family values.  I appreciate the advice she gives to her listeners.
  • Seems to me there are three main stages to motherhood - The New Mother, The Experienced Mother, and the Mature Mother. The demands on a mother change as the child grows.  I am enjoying watching my sister-in-law with her "new mother" experience.  I also appreciate and acknowledge my own mother and my mother-in-law's stage of the "mature mother".  I am in the thick of things as the "experienced mother".  

I thank God for the gift of children - without them I would not be a mother.
I thank God for my mother, and her mother - without them I would not know how to be a mother.
I thank God for all my supportive friends and relatives who are mothers - without them I would not have someone who truly understands what it's like to be a mother.


I'll leave you with a short video by Dr. Laura Schlessinger on "What does it mean to be a Mom?"



Click on the arrow above, or go to this YouTube link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnSwVhtaH2k


Happy Mother's Day to All!

~ Angela Gentile



No comments: